Monday, March 30, 2009

Favorites: Boy Meets Boy


David Levithan. Boy Meets Boy

I like a lot of David Levithan's work. Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist is super fun and Wide Awake presents a beautifully aspirational political vision, but Boy Meets Boy is by far my favorite. It creates a high school world in which friends love and accept each other in all their queerness and individuality to such an extent that it feels like science fiction even though there's nothing futuristic about it. It feels surreal just because it has hope and acceptance instead of the pain and suppression that most of us associate with high school. I read this book while trapped in an airport and scuzzy motel in Vegas when a flight was delayed and cancelled. Even though it was the worst travel experience I've had so far in my life, I was laughing and crying and happy because of this book. I love the beautiful, hopeful, accepting world and the vibrant, unique characters that Levithan creates. This is a book for anyone who has struggled with acceptance and identity and I found it wonderfully healing for a sweet gay love story.

No comments:

Post a Comment