Monday, March 30, 2009

Favorites: The Dresden Files


Jim Butcher. The Dresden Files.

I thought I'd introduce myself by telling you something about some of the books I love. My favorites change frequently, but I've been on an urban fantasy kick recently, and my love for The Dresden Files series is both a cause and a symptom. I picked up Storm Front (The Dresden Files, Book 1) on a whim, and pretty much stayed up all night reading it. I read the whole series compulsively and now I'm dying for more. I can't wait for Turn Coat (The Dresden Files, Book 11) to come out in paperback. I love the combination of the fantasy genre with the hardboiled independent protagonist of a mystery novel, and Jim Butcher does it just right!

The Dresden Files focus on Harry Dresden, a wizard in Chicago as he fights vampires, faeries, warewolves and even other wizards, when he only wants his wizarding skills to support himself as a private eye. Soon, he'd consulting for the police and fighting plots within plots in supernatural politics. The books have an amazing sense of humor and great character development, and I highly recommend them for anyone who likes urban fantasy for more than just the romance. Think Buffy meets Raymond Chandler.

No comments:

Post a Comment