Sunday, April 5, 2009

Review: Avalon High


Meg Cabot.  Avalon High.  HarperTeen. 2007.

Avalon High is the story of King Arthur and Camelot, reincarnated in a contemporary high school. It's a super, fun book enhanced with Tennyson's "The Lady of Shalott" and aspects of Arthurian Legend. I'm a sucker for a good Arthurian story (I've read The Once and Future King twice and studied Arthurian Legend at NYU for summerschool) and this one was light and fun. I recommend this for YA lit fantasy fans who might appreciate a cross between Mists of Avalon and light teen romance. It's a quick little read but very fun.

Nerd that I am, my favorite part was out heroine, Elaine's, relationship with her parents, both Medieval scholars. The parents were hilarious images of academics: nerdy, a little distracted, inept at housework, and yet loving and supporting. I loved them.



In honor of the book, here's The Lady of Shalott by John William Waterhouse, my favorite Pre-Raphaelite painter.

No comments:

Post a Comment